In keeping with the National Sport Policy, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago is committed to providing financial assistance to outstanding athletes, in support of their preparation for, and participation in international competition.
The Policy that guides the EAAP provides financial support for nationals who have attained the qualifying international ranking determined by the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC). These policy guidelines were developed through consultation with the TTOC, national sporting organisations and other co-opted interests.
As such, the EAAP speaks to:
- Athletes who are world-ranked in individual sports
- Those sports included in Olympic events and programmes
- Athletes who medal at Olympic Games, World Championships, Commonwealth Games, Senior Pan American Games and Senior Central American and Caribbean Games.
Funding is allocated under the following categories:
- Athletes ranked in the World Top 15 positions will qualify for the current maximum sum of $250,000
- Athletes ranked in the World Top 16-40 positions will benefit up to $187,500 (75% of the maximum sum)
- Athletes who medal at the specific Games and Championships will benefit, on a case-by-case basis, from up to $75,000 (30% of the maximum sum)
- The funding will be provided for athletes who undergo a four-year cycle of preparation and training leading up an Olympic year.
The funding is intended to meet the following expenses:
- Training schedules
- Coaching fees
- Nutritional and medical expenses
- Travel expenses for training
- Travel expenses for sanctioned competitions and pre-Games tours
- Accommodation for training
- Professional expenses